Health and Social Care
The health and social care qualification we offer is changing.
Current year 11 pupils are studying:
BTEC Tech Award 2017 in Health and Social Care 603/0395/5
AIMS OF THE COURSE:
Health and Social Care offers an exciting opportunity to develop your knowledge and understanding of health and social care services, jobs and skills.
This course relates everything to the workplace and will help you to develop a range of skills and techniques, personal qualities and attributes essential for successful performance in working life.
You will study three core units:
- Human Lifespan Development
- Health and Social Care Services and Values
- Health and Well-Being
Although most of the units you complete are coursework tasks assessed in school, you will be externally assessed on one of the core units (40% external assessment).
This will be an essential aspect of this course, and will include a wide variety of tasks and activities.
WHERE WILL THIS LEAD?
If you want to get a job straight away you could work and train in:
- Registered care homes
- Hospitals and primary care trusts
- Nursing homes
- Health centres
It is a good progression to the Level 3 in Health and Social Care, offered in sixth form here at BGIS.
Current year 10 pupils and onward will be studying:
NCFE CACHE Level 2 Technical Award in Health and Social Care
At BGIS we study a vocational L2 Technical Award in Health and Social Care. We follow the NCFE CACHE exam board and this is an equivalent to a GCSE qualification.
The Level 2 Technical Award in Health and Social Care will enable learners to develop knowledge, understanding and skills in relation the health and social care sector.
This qualification will be delivered as part of the curriculum for learners studying at Key Stage 4.
The qualification will cover:
- an introduction to the health and social care sector: where you will learn about access and referrals to H&SC services. You will also gain knowledge of care needs within provisions.
- professional practice and the health and social care practitioner: where you will learn about responsibilities, skills, behaviours and attributes of health and social care practitioners.
- human growth and development through the life stages: where you will learn about the stages within life and factors impacting on human growth and development transition and significant life events across life stages
The qualification gives a broad and sufficiently in-depth base from which Level 2 learners at Stage 4 in their compulsory education can begin to make informed decisions concerning future career goals and aspirations.
This programme of study promotes ‘widening participation’ through vocational opportunities for further study. By completing three extensive core mandatory units, learners will explore key areas within health and social care in order to establish a firm foundation from which future knowledge can develop and grow.
In addition to the above 3 topics there will also be a short answer external examination.
Level 3 Award, Certificate and Diploma in Health and Social Care.
Apprenticeships within the Healthcare industry.
Mrs D Drillingcourt
Miss K Hudson