Edexcel GCSE Health and Social Care syllabus
The Edexcel GCSE in Health and Social Care gives students opportunities to actively engage in the processes of health and social care in order to develop as effective and independent students
The course allows students
This course is a useful introduction into the world of social care and could lead to careers in social work or in the area of early years provision or care of the elderly.
The Edexcel GCSE in Health and Social Care consists of two units — Units 1 and 2.
Unit 1 Understanding Personal Development and Relationships Unit code 5HS01
Externally assessed 40% of final grade - 1 hour and 15-minute written examination paper which has a total of 70 marks. The paper consists of 15 multiple-choice questions and a series of questions based on case studies and short scenarios.
This unit contains the following four topics:
• Human growth and development
• Factors affecting human growth and development
• Effects of relationships on personal growth and development
• The effect of life events on personal development.
Unit 2 Exploring Health, Social Care and Early Years Provision Unit code 5HS02
Internally assessed 60% of final grade – Work is completed under controlled conditions and externally moderated.
This unit contains the following five topics:
• The range of care needs of major client groups
• How health care, social care and early years services are accessed and the barriers to access
• How health, social care and early years services are provided
• Workers in health, social care and early years
• Care values which underpin service provider interaction.